Well, my fondant turned out more like hard crack candy, but I’ve heard of beekeepers using this same type of feed in their “candy boards,” so I simply took my hard candy winter feed and placed the pieces over the top bars of my three hives, which gave each hive about 3 lbs. of candy. To my amazement, the bees immediately went to work on it. I plan to check on them in about a month to see if they need replenished. The hive in the photos has the candy laying directly on top of the frames, but in my other two hives, I used some shim style feeders that I made last year. I think the shim feeder is the better option for winter feeding. I will grab photos of them next time. I was trying to be quick today. It was about 60 degrees when I was in the bee yard, but the wind was blowing so I kept the photo shoot to a bare minimum.
I also made tar paper covers for all three hives for winter, but I forgot to take a photo. Maybe next trip. Stay tuned and join with my in hoping and praying that my hives all survive this winter.